3SOMS: Off the beaten track..
“Off the beaten track “… ” a swim with a view”
On the 3rd weekend of the month from October 2020 to March 2021 we are going to be hosting swims that are a tad different .. venue is different .. conditions are different .. the experience is PHENOMENAL!
As planning for the season can not be as far into the future as we would like due to global circumstances we’ve decided to be more agile and nimble.
A revamp of the logistics has taken place and 1SOMS is being used to establish criteria for participation in these swims-excursions-adventures. Due to location the likelihood is that the swim level is intermediate to advanced (i.e. novice openwaterswim’ers are not likely to make the invitation cut). To encourage future participants the routes have typically been set to be spectator-friendly so in all likelihood you will be able to see participants on a large portion of the route.
Swims are supported by paddlers, boats, transport , admin and logistics teams .. The chances are very good that chatting to these team members will unearth a wealth of experience and local knowledge..
The 1st of these swims this season starts at the same venue as The Viking Swim.. probably the most scenic swim in the world..
- Venue: Broken Baths, Atlantic Seaboard, Cape Town
- Date : 14 November 2020
- 08:00-08:30 Check-in
- 09:00 Swim starts (10-15 swimmers released at a time)
- 10:00 First finisher expected
- 10:30 Time limit for route
- Cost: R450* p/p (*If you participated at 2020-10-17 please reduce the amount paid by R50)
- Online entries ONLY. (Entry via SNAPSCAN https://pos.snapscan.io/qr/Special)
- Participation limit 50ppl.
- 1SOMS qualification (Automatic eligibility)
- Swim times per 100m at 1SOMS 2020-11-01 faster than <TO BE DETERMINED>/100m are eligible to participate
- Same category (i.e. Skins or Wetsuits) as at 1SOMS 2020-11-01 are to be retained
- Out-of-Towners and those not meeting the automatic eligibility may motivate participation in writing to organiser
- IF you have bought a ticket and not met the recommended swim times you will be given the option to defer your entry until the next 3SOMS. Deferment request needs to be received by the Wednesday before the swim by 11:59am.
- Plan B – as this route may not be swimmable an alternative route is in the planning so we have the best chance of a swim taking place. The switch to Plan B will be communicated if necessary on Wednesday evening before the swim
- Right of participation reserved
- Planned distance is a mile upstream and a mile downstream.. expect GPS distance to be +/-2.8km
14 November – The Seapointer
17 October 2020 – Cosy Bay to Oudekraal