“If you don’t have a PLAN B then you don’t have a PLAN A… “
Beyond the waves there are no lines, no walls, no limits…
And you will not win any argument with Mother Nature so don’t try.
Every swim I remind you that :-
- Open water swimming is extreme… there are no prizes for any ego.
- If you are unhappy with any of the setup then please do not start –
go back to the desk and ask for your refund or a credit towards the next swim.
- You are responsible for getting yourself out of trouble – turnaround and return to the start and tell the recorder you DNF’d (but will be back next time 😉).
The boat and the paddlers are there to guide you around the course.
If necessary, they will tell you to return to shore- don’t argue they know.
- Look around – introduce yourself to the swimmer next to you.
Yes the name on their swim cap is theirs.
- Find a swim buddy – it is more fun!
- Certain routes have particular intricacies be familiar with the swim route that is planned (aka look at the map, ask questions)
- Cold water is cold. There is nothing I can do to change this. You however are able to improve your response to the cold by acclimatising beforehand (e.g. walking in the shallows until the cold sting is gone)
- Swimming over a fellow swimmer is not cool – Please be courteous
(or you will be DQ’d.)
Enjoy yourself… sea you soon 😉